Wednesday, May 30, 2007

About the Lifelong Learning Training Module

Well, I'm afraid I was not impressed with this training module (the 7-1/2 elements of lifelong learning). The information was both too obvious and at the same time not getting at the heart of the matter. I believe that lifelong learning, or simply "curiosity" about the world, is an attitude more than it is a set of learned steps and signed documents. If I have an attitude that the world is fascinating in every aspect of its being, if I can't get enough of new knowledge and skills, if I'm always drawn to try a new restaurant or dish, to try making cheese, to keeping bees, to reading lots of things on the Web, to stopping off at four or five media news and info sources every day, and on and on, then I'm a lifelong learner. If it's a chore, a responsibility, a means for fighting off Alzheimer's, something to get me a free mp3 player, or something I'm supposed to do for work, then it'll never take. Lots of people exercise for three days or jog a mile twice, then give it up. You have to have a passion for learning if you are going to do it--and if you have that passion, you don't need instructions on how to learn. It is all around you if you have the curiosity to look for it.

No comments: