Thursday, May 31, 2007

Really Simple Post

I've been using RSS feeds for a long time now through my web browsers at home and work. Unlike the person who wrote the blog post about RSS (that we were directed to read--very informative!), I am content with only a limited amount of monitoring of topics and places on the web. As it is, I already spend too much time at it. My approach (at home) has been to bookmark The New York Times and The Baltimore Sun, then monitor feeds from Scientific American and Wired.com. I'm interested in lots of things, but I've found that if I set up automatic feeds about beekeeping, cheesemaking, environmental issues, etc. etc., I'd spend half my life reading things that don't interest me. When I want to know something specific, I go looking for it. The feeds I mentioned above are pure entertainment.

Having said all that, I'm having a blast working through the RSS feed suggestions on our HCPL blog (is that where they are?). I've signed up with Bloglines and have been creating a list of places to monitor, including Flickr (I'm following photos tagged with Ithaca, NY). I also made use of the feed search engine recommended there; again, I'm not likely to continue following all this, but it's fun to see how it all works.

No comments: